Friday, March 12, 2010

Laughing in the Face of My Least Favorite Month (an ongoing project)

March 12th - Reason to be cheerful: Layla by Derick and the Dominoes

Possibly the most perfect piece of rock music ever, Layla was said to be written by Eric Clapton over his unrequited love for George Harrison's (then) wife, Pattie Boyd ... it's all a rather soap-opera-like back story.  Personally, whenever I hear this song, I get goosebumps.  From the rollicking intro to the, seemingly, endless instrumental  coda, Layla is  the kind of song that wraps you in its arms and does not let go until that little bird chirp at the very end .  A very wise woman once said that hearing this song is like getting a dozen long stemmed roses.  For the back story on Layla CLICK HERE.

2 comments:

Virginia Gal said...

Not related to this post, but my desert island flick would be Sound of Music : )

Rick said...

One of the great pieces of rock and roll ever. While not quite as enjoyable as the original, I do like Clapton's acoustic version as well.

BTW what a great way to get back into daily posting. After March is over I hope we do not have to wait until November for more of the same.