Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Laughing in the Face of My Least Favorite Month (an ongoing project)

March 9th - Reason to be cheerful: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
  I was born in the City of Brotherly Love (South Philadelphia to be exact)  and lived there until I was 12.  When we moved to the suburbs,  I missed Philly.  I missed the gritty streets, the corner stores, the music that seemed to come streaming out of every open window on a warm summer's night, the smell of a million different foods that hit you when you walked down 9th street, the trolley that shambled up our street sending off sparks from the electric cable wires above, the goofy but earnest celebration of New Years day with the Mummer's parade, the shady guys who offered the neighborhood kids ten cents to run errands for them ... but most of all I missed the Aunts, Uncles, Cousins and friends we left behind.   When I got older, I learned to appreciate the history of my home city as well as it's peculiar beauty - I once heard someone call Philadelphia, "Athens on the Delaware"- maybe that's a bit overstated, but it works for me.   Whenever I go back to Philly, I understand that you can indeed go home.

3 comments:

missmagnoliathunderpussy said...

So you've only been gone 10 years darling. You see Pax, when you write and speak of Philadelphia you can put even me in a better frame of mind.

Never have ever been in a city or state for that matter that I've fallen so completely in love with as I have with Philly and Pennsylvania. I honestly believe it's what the Garden of Eden must have been and looked like, it's the closest thing we have to heaven here on earth.

Merci said...

I love Pennsy, too. Haven't been to Philly in quite awhile. Would love to see Rittenhouse Square in the spring, and have coffee or tea or drinks somewhere cozy.

Rick said...

Philly has a charm to it that is different than any other big American city I have been to...and I have been to lots of them.