Monday, January 25, 2010

Uncle Pax's Almanac: 01/25/10


Good Morning and Good Monday from Utopia New Jersey where soaking rains and wicked winds are on tap for the day.  While many of us might prefer snow, it seems that this winter, which started off promising with an early season blizzard, is going to end up just being rather run-of-the-mill.

It was on the date back in 1915 that Alexander Graham Bell spoke to his assistant (Thomas Watson) using a telephone.  Bell was in New York and Watson was in San Francisco - thus, long distance was born!

If today is your birthday, don't be spooked by the fact that you share the date with horror film director, Tobe Hopper.

Today's obscure term is "cinder dick", and it has nothing to do with Prince Charming's appendage on his wedding night - care to venture a guess as to what it means?

Today's quote is from Mohandas Gandhi who said, "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." - I could not agree more.


Here's wishing you a all a great Monday free of any cinder dicks, unless of course you like that sort of the thing!

4 comments:

iasa said...

I actually know what a cinder dick is. Is that sad? Instead of using it in reference to a railroad guard though, I think i will start using it in reference to a boyfriend. He's always asleep by midnight, stopping all the fun.

Marisa said...

That Gandhi quotation has always been one of my favorites.

Rick said...

Love the Gandhi quote.

I am at the mercy of your soaking rains and wicked winds as we speak. I am sitting at LaGaurdia hoping to get on one of the few non-canceled planes back to Chi-town.
Uncle Pax, does the almanac just report the weather or can you change it? If the latter, can you cut me some slack?

Pax Romano said...

iasa,
loved your comment, and it's going to be part of tomorrow's almanac, aren't you thrilled?

Marisa,
It's one of my favorites as well - how have you been, long time no see (blog wise, that is).

Rick,
I will do my best to bring you blue skies and smooth sailing...watch me work my magic!