Friday, January 29, 2010

Fave Foto Friday: Weegee Time

It all started when Mags emailed me this photo:
...something by one of my all time favorite photographer, Arthur Fellig AKA Weege...
...here's the man himself with a couple of fans....
...he started out as a press photographer in New York City and Newark New Jersey...
...but his photos of the urban flotsam were so intriguing, he began taking pictures just for  art's sake.
Many of Weegee's works put me in mind of a Tom Waits song, or a Raymond Chandler novel...
...full of shady dames, freaks, dicey dudes and inner city decay...
...that's not to say he was blind to joy or innocence (as can be seen in the photo above).
This is my all time favorite picture of his "Couple in a Voodoo Trance" ; a copy of it has been hanging in my bedroom for over fifteen years...
How can you not be intrigued by these images? 
for more about The Master, CLICK HERE

6 comments:

missmagnoliathunderpussy said...

Darling my favorite has always been the old dolls in ermine at the Opera "The Critic" and the one of the drag queen in the back of the "Black Mariah". Love the top hats I've never seen that one before.

Clark said...

Pax...these are terrific..love 'em all.

Kaspian/Clark

iasa said...

I don't recall every seeing any of these photographs before, but i have fallen in love with them. And you are right, they are very Chandleresque.

Rick said...

As a wannabe photographer I love seeing the work of others. These are terrific!

et said...

Pax, thanks for this walk down memory lane. The photo of the two ladies, one with leg in air, showing off her stocking "safe" deposit box, is a sweet reminder of me ol' Mama!

She also used her stocking as a safe place to keep her money. She would first wrap the top of the stocking around her money, twist it into a knot and secure it just below her knee.

I remember, as a child, I used to twist and secure light brown colored stockings, just below my knee, but without the money.

Pax Romano said...

ET,

Glad you liked the pics. In my family (dad's side) the women were (how to put this politely?) well endowed - and they kept their stash of cash "down in the valley". I remember going to the store for my aunt, and when she handed me some cash it was warm!