Friday, December 11, 2009

Fave Foto Friday: Xmas on Skid Row Edition


This one really tears at my heart ... look at these men, it's such a powerful image:  

From the UCLA Digital Colletion:
Title: Men of Skid Row missions at prayer on Christmas Day in Los Angeles, Calif., 1948
Published caption:THE WEARY AND HEAVY-LADEN -- Not only in secure homes and handsome churches was the Birth of Jesus celebrated. Skid Row, too, made prayerful observance of the Birth of Jesus and His Promise of rest to such as these in many of the missions of Los Angeles.
Publication:Los Angeles Times
Publication date:December 26, 1948

3 comments:

missmagnoliathunderpussy said...

Darling you can still see this on the streets of most major cities.

et said...

I remember it well; I went hungry many times! Poverty sucks! Miss Magnolia, you are so right...it's a very sad time for a lot of people. Anymore, I hesitate to donate because I'm not sure who's pocketing the money! The paid solicitors get most of the money that is collected and the charity gets 18 cents on the dollar, if they're lucky.

Ruth said...

Really puts things in perspective as I look at my list and try to figure out if I've 'spent enough' on presents for my in-laws... thanks for posting this.