Saturday, August 01, 2009

Working on a Saturday

Friday's Armageddon-like storms knocked out our cable / Internet / phone system here from 10 pm to about an hour ago (6:00 pm Saturday). I figured, to be safe, I'd leave my cell phone on (something I never do, especially on Saturdays).

Of course, when the mobile rang early this morning, I knew something was up.

It was.

Turned out that there was some sort of incident (allegedly) going on at a group home way down south in the wilds of New Jersey. So, at around 11:30 this morning, I found myself with a fellow unlucky employee as we fought the shore bound traffic until we managed to discover the last house on the left , set back on a dirt road in some godforsaken little town you've never heard of.

Long story short; co-worker and I knocked on the door, flashed our fancy State Employee I.D. cards, sniffed around the joint (ah, the smell of a group home, Pine Sol and Lysol), interviewed several staff people, took some notes and left. Frankly, it all seemed like an exercise in futility, but that's the nature of the beast mostly.

It's funny how time flies when your knocking around a facility, getting lost, and then getting stuck in traffic on the way to and from.

Got home around 3 and took a nap, and when I woke up an hour later, it pretty much felt like my whole day had been a wash.

So how was your Saturday?

7 comments:

RC said...

sounds like a saturday adventure --- or at least the start of what could have been a saturday adventure :-)

Merci said...

I was in your neck of the woods today. We probably passed like ships in the night. There was quite a bit of damage over a relatively narrow area - it seemed pretty much limited to Utopia proper. Saw a tree down on a house, though it appears that the porch took the brunt of it. A couple of miles northeast of you all was fine, and the power was on.

And don't answer the phone on weekends anymore!!!

missmagnoliathunderpussy said...

Just like I said darling, beyond the call of duty. ;)

et said...

You're a good man, Charlie Brown!

mommanator said...

and thats why you dont leave your phone on

Virginia Gal said...

Wow, your Saturday seems a lot more scary than mine! I went to the Delaware State Fair to see Kelly Clarkson with my sister.

Danielle said...

hm..seeing kelly clarkson can be a scary expirience to..:-)