Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Rest in Peace, Mrs. Slocombe

Mollie Sugden, who played the irrepressible senior sales clerk, Mrs. Slocombe on the BBC sit-com, Are You Being Served, has passed away. She was 86.

What made Sugden's character so damn funny were the constant references to the misadventures of her cat, whom she called "my pussy". For instance, in one episode, she is telling about how cold her cat became and how she remedied said situation: "The central heating broke down and I had to hold my pussy in front of the fire place. It was frozen solid."

And, when she is discussing a heavy fog and says, "What about this fog! My pussy's been gasping all night."

Upset over the fact that she has to work late one night, she calls up a neighbor to ask him to feed her cat , "Hello, is that Mr. Akbar? Mrs. Slocombe here, your next door neighbour. I wonder - would you do me a little favour? Would you go to my front door, bend down, look through the letter box... and if you can see my pussy, would you drop a sardine on the mat?"

That these double entendre's were delivered by a middle aged woman with strange colored hair, just made them all the more hysterical; in my humble opinion anyway.

In any case, I am going to miss Mollie, and I am unanimous in that!

3 comments:

missmagnoliathunderpussy said...

Oh Lord darling not another one and I just read that Karl Malden also passed on that makes eight so far. I don't know what's happening in this past week but something is definitely not right.

I was never a big fan of "Are You Being Served" but I did like Miss Molly and it is a thing, I think we also lost "Miss Brahms" earlier this year.

Merci said...

How sad! Loved her, of course. Not my very favorite Britcom, but still better than 90% of the drivel released here.

apt said...

She was amazing! Loved her!
"... it better have room to accommodate my pussy!"