Sunday, July 05, 2009

Movie Reviews for the Attention Challenged

I saw four movies this weekend, here's a quick look at all four:


Whatever Works: a funny, philosophical punch in the gut by Woody Allen. I predict that general audiences will hate this movie as it is rife with in jokes as well as some heady (and heavy) messages. That said, this is the movie that many of us have been waiting for. Rapid fire and smart dialogue crackles and every one of the actors pretty much nails his or her roles. I will be quoting this movie for some time.


The Curious Case of Benjamin Button: Watching Brad Pitt grow younger may not sound like much, but this movie is so compelling, and so heart-felt that it almost left me in tears. Cate Blanchett once more proves that she is one of the finest actors alive today, and Pitt, gives his best performance since Fight Club. Yes, this is another long movie that demands the viewer's attention. Those who stick with it will be rewarded.


Revolutionary Road: Good acting on the part of Kate Winslet, and Leonardo DiCaprio looks fine in his late 50's period garb. Ultimately, though, this is American Beauty set in the Eisenhower era. Worth a watch, to see Kathy Bates (who can never do wrong in my book) as well as Michael Shannon who plays her mentally unstable son. Shannon steals this movie.


Friday the 13th: This piece of crap is only worth watching to see Jared Padalecki run around in a tight t-shirt. Really, that's it.

5 comments:

mommanator said...

Hey I am sending an award your way with a pink ribbon, check out my blog and pick it up

Virginia Gal said...

I loved your Forth of July picture, beautiful!

I was sorry to hear about Mrs. Slocumbe as well - I love Are you Being Served!

Rick said...

Buttons,
Love Cate Did not care at all for Brad. Bored to tears.

mommanator said...

Hey are you in mourning for Michael or something where is a new blog!? or are you just in prebirthday mode!

Liz said...

I loved Revolutionary Road. Kate and Leo are two of my favs.