Friday, August 08, 2008

Fave Foto Friday (Rock and Roll Never Forgets edition)

Music lovers (of a certain age) from the Philadelphia area were saddened yesterday to learn of the passing of local musician, Robert Hazard.

Born, Robert Rimato, Hazard fronted the new wave band, Robert Hazard and The Heroes and seemed destined for stardom with the release of an album on RCA in 1984. But fame is fickle, and though he did gain a lot of critical acclaim and some airplay, Hazard and company never really caught on with the rest of the country.

His biggest claim to fame was that one of his early songs was covered by another up and coming singer of that same era, Cyndi Lauper.

Everyone is familiar with Lauper's big hit, Girls Just Want to Have Fun. Robert Hazard wrote that song.

The above photo (of Robert in the foreground with his band) is a replica of the one I had hanging over a closet door in my bedroom during my college years. I was a big fan of Hazard's, and every day, for several years, that picture was the first thing I saw in the morning when I opened my eyes.

Rest in peace, Robert.

Rock and Roll Never Forgets.

No comments: