Sunday, July 13, 2008

Less than a Week to the Half Century Mark

This coming Friday, your's truly will be 50 years old.

I can't believe I just typed that.

50 - fifty.

Sheesh, where did the time go?

Now, people tell me that 50 is new 30; so by that logic, 40 is the new 20, 20 is the new 10 - and if you are 10 years old, you've just been born.

Yes, I am having some difficulties coming to terms with this milestone. Part of me really does feel like a fifty year old man, while another part of me still feels like he's an adolescent with all of the frustrations and insecurities that I carry around.

Be that as it may, I am trying to look at this as positively as possible - so far I have come up with these wonderful things that turning 50 brings with it:
  • I can retire in the next five to eight years.
  • I can blame my forgetfulness on my age (which was tough to do when I was twenty).
  • I can start to become "that eccentric old guy".
  • I can point out that Prince, Viggo Mortensen, Ellen, and of course, Madonna are all in the same age boat as myself.
  • Comfortable shoes!
  • I can seriously consider that red sports car!
Granted, that is not the most earth-shattering list, but it helps.

Anyway, have a great Sunday all.

No comments: