Friday, January 18, 2008

Fave Foto Friday (Mad Man Edition)

I was recently listening to an interview with George Lois (the prolific ad man and Esquire photographer) on NPR when he told the tale of this cover of Esquire Magazine: It seems that two painters were working on a billboard to advertise Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton's monumental turkey of a film, Cleopatra over the Rivoli theater in New York City when Lois noticed the men touching up Taylor's ample bosom. Apparently he paid the the men twenty bucks each to once more work on Liz's cleavage and then shot this picture.

Lois's career was a wonderful one, and you owe it to yourself to visit his site to see some of his work and note the many ad campaigns he got rolling ... including the infamous, "I Want My MTV!" campaign (which according to Lois, he based on the old cereal add, "I want my Maypo!").

No comments: