Thursday, June 07, 2007

A Star is Born


About that recital:

These were 5th and 6th grade students, so I was not expecting much...

The orchestra played first, and frankly they were not bad. However, they highlighted three little children; a boy and two girls. These kids, all Asian, were talented beyond comprehension. One of the girls played at the Lincoln Center's Alice Tully hall this past spring. Said moppet played a gorgeous piano piece for the audience, same with the other little girl. And then, the little boy sat at the piano and played, Debussy's Arabesque.

It was scary how good this kid was. I thought it was just me, but when he was through, he got the only standing ovation of the night.

I leaned over to my sister and whispered, "All those years of piano lessons mom made us take, and all we can play these days is Heart and Soul".

After the orchestra and individual players were done, the chorus took over, and this is when I got to see my niece shine.

As always, my sister and I are on the same page and as soon as the kids began singing, we leaned over to each other and whispered, "Sing out Louise!", drawing a stare or two from the others seated around us.

Princess Demon Child is a real ham bone, and as soon as she saw me and her mother in the front row, she was beaming .

The theme was "Save the Planet", and the kids sang everything from Disney tunes to African folk songs.

When the show was over, all of the children took their bows ... my niece raised her arms theatrically, blew a kiss, and took a very dramatic bow.

A star is born.

No comments: