Saturday, June 23, 2007

Back to the Garden

I took my first cup of coffee this morning on the balcony. The sun was coming up, a few of the neighbors were out walking their dogs. One of my neighbors, an elderly woman who has two Great Danes (truth be told, the dogs seem to be walking her), looked up at me and said, "I love your Mandevillas!".

"Thanks", I replied back.

And then she mentioned the Morning Glory Vines (which seem set to take over the entire building); "I've never seen Morning Glory leaves that big," she marveled as her two behemoth canines stood placidly at her side, "What are you feeding them?"

"Coffee grinds", I answered.

Seemingly pleased with my reply, she yanked on the leashes and led her two Marmaduke's off on their morning constitutional.

I am not the most creative person in the world; actually, I have a creative mind, but I can't seem to bring my visions to life ... that's why my little balcony garden is a never ending sense of accomplishment for me. I am always pleased and pleasantly surprised when the seeds I started coaxing back in March (in the makeshift greenhouse I made in the laundry room) actually start growing.

This year I planted a huge pot with Nostrum seeds. Within a few days, they started sprouting and everything looked great. And then, the container was knocked over and the laundry room floor was covered in potting soil and sprouts. Figuring that it was a lost cause, I unceremoniously swept up all of the dirt and sprouts, threw them back into said container and forgot all about them...

Ah, but nature has a funny way of dealing with mishaps.

A few days later, the sprouts were back and the plants took hold.

These days the plant is thriving!

It's not much, but for some reason, overseeing my mini garden is a pleasure.

Have a great Saturday all!

No comments: