Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Waving to Everyone

Hey Gang!

Sorry I've been a bit quiet of late, but as you know they've blocked all Blogger access at work, so I can't spend my coffee and lunch break making the rounds anymore, nor can I make a quick post from the office when the muse strikes which leaves me with early in the morning, when I am trying to get ready for work, or evening, when I get home and all of my inspiration is dried up, to post anything. And of course I still have those November blahs.

Lucky for you all that I've had some high-test java this afternoon so I might just have a ramble in me this evening.

*****
First, a serious note: I just wanted to say that the sad story of Kevin Johnson, the young Philadelphia man who died yesterday, has really had an impact on me. For those of you who don't know his story, Johnson was attacked and shot in South West Philadelphia in 2003 because his attackers wanted the Allen Iverson jersey he was wearing. Despite a gunshot wound to the neck which left him in a wheel chair and totally dependent on others for his care, Johnson survived and became a voice against street violence. Last week, his breathing machine malfunctioned and he suffered irreparable brain damage. He was taken off of life support yesterday and his organs will be harvested and be used to assist other people who may need transplants.

It was reported today that Iverson will pay all of the funeral expenses.


Services will be next Wednesday at 10 a.m. at the Enon Tabernacle Baptist Church, 230 W. Coulter St, Philadelphia, Pa.

Tonight, say a prayer, or light some incense and candles, or do whatever you are comfortable with so that Kevin's young soul has a peaceful transition to the great beyond.

*****

In much lighter news: I am so hooked on Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip; and was positively thrilled to hear that the news of it's demise was greatly overstated...yup, seems that NBC has ordered a full season of this intelligent, well written drama. It helps that I've always had a thing for Matthew Perry; and frankly I think he looks great now that he's no longer anorexic. That said, the rest of the cast is aces!

I'm also still loving Ugly Betty, the light-hearted comedy on ABC about a plain jane trying to fit in with a bunch of superficial types as an assistant at a high fashion magazine. The program is produced by Salma Hayek and for the past few weeks, Hayek has been playing an editor of another magazine, and BOY HOWDY she's hotter than Georgia asphalt...yeah, I'd hop the fence for Salma!

*****

Finally, is it me, or did the holidays just spring up unannounced this year? My god, next Thursday is Thanksgiving! I guess it's time to gird my loins, double my medication, and practice my breathing exercises for the yearly exercise in dysfunction known as The Romano Family Thanksgiving Dinner...ugh, I hate November!

No comments: